Sunday, February 19, 2012

EDLD 5399 Week Five

Year One

Goal
Become more curriculum-minded
TExES Domain and Competency
Domain II, Competency 5
Objective
Increase working knowledge of curriculum and data analysis
Course Work/Book/ Workshops
CSCOPE Conference & Data Analysis Workshop
Mentor/ Professional Support
Curriculum Director, Coleen Butterfield
Date of Completion
5-1-13
Evaluations
Completion of workshops and implementation of skills learned

Goal
Begin networking and attending superinten- dent conferences and workshops
TExES Domain and Competency
Domain I, Competency 4
Objective
Increase contacts and knowledge-base pertaining to superintendency
Course Work/Book/ Workshops
TASA/TASB Convention and Midwinter Conference (including Aspiring Superintendent Academy)
Mentor/ Professional Support
Superintendent, Mike Bodine

Date of Completion
2-1-13
Evaluations
Completion of workshops and implementation of skills learned



Year Two

Goal
Learn how to lead a district through strategic planning
TExES Domain and Competency
Domain II, Competency 5
Objective
Help develop a strategic plan for our district that will move us to an elite status within five years
Course Work/Book/ Workshops
Mentor/ Professional Support
Superintendent, Mike Bodine & Assistant Superintendent, Ofeila Grass

Date of Completion
5-1-14
Evaluations
Results as the years go on.  The plan put in place should improve our school district through SAT, ACT, grades,  attendance, STAAR, etc.
Goal
Become a better communicator
TExES Domain and Competency
Domain I, Competency 3
Objective
Increase forms and styles of delivery to increase amount and effectiveness of communication
Course Work/Book/ Workshops
Workshop on effective communication
Mentor/ Professional Support
Superintendent, Mike Bodine & Assistant Superintendent, Ofeila Grass
Date of Completion
5-1-14
Evaluations
Analysis of communication, media, and their overall effectiveness



Year Three

Goal
Improve the quality of staff development for our district
TExES Domain and Competency
Domain II, Competency 7
Objective
Perform a needs assessment on our district’s staff development program
Course Work/Book/ Workshops
Leading and Creating Staff Development Workshop
Mentor/ Professional Support
Assistant Superintendent, Ofeila Grass and Curriculum Director, Coleen Butterfield
Date of Completion
5-1-15
Evaluations
Increase in student engagement and test scores; increase in teacher effectiveness

Goal
Become a budget guru.
TExES Domain and Competency
Domain III, Competency 8
Objective
Increase my knowledge on all aspects of the budget (law requirements, historical background, planning, creating, audits, etc.)
Course Work/Book/ Workshops
Budget planning workshops; Possibly another school finance course
Mentor/ Professional Support
Assistant Superintendent, Ron Smith

Date of Completion
5-1-15
Evaluations
Informally through my ability to intelligently discuss the budget and through my own interactions with all budget processes


My three year professional development plan was written so that I can solidify my knowledge and experiences before attempting to find a superintendent job.  I do not feel that I am quite ready, but with this plan and several other experiences that I am sure to have over the next few years, I am sure that I will attain my goal.  Growing as an educator is part of your continued success.  I see these tasks as learning opportunities and I look forward to them and many more chances to grow.




Reflection on SISE:

Sitting down with our superintendent to review my evaluation was pretty easy to do because we already had to meet for my regular evaluation.  We discussed the items related to my current position and then we talked further about my abilities in regards to the superintendent competencies.  He was very supportive and encouraging with my areas of strengths and weaknesses.  We decided that I needed to work a little bit more in the areas of budget/finance, community/public relations, and curriculum.  He also stated that it would be very important for me going forward to build a working relationship with the board.  I know most of them and I have seen them from the outside looking in, but now it is time to take a few steps forward and work with them more and more.  I have seen them work as a team and as two separate teams.  I must find the common ground and learn how I can fit into that puzzle.  Things have worked out well for me in our district and our superintendent seems to think that things could continue to look bright.  Years ago I made two goals to be a principal before I turned 30 and a superintendent before I turned 40.  I was given my first opportunity to lead a campus a few months before I turned 30.  Now I have about four year to increase my knowledge and skills before I reach and attain that next goal.

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed looking over your posts and collaborating with you throughout this program. I wish you well!!

    ReplyDelete